One on One with Jason Magbanua ~ King of the Same Day Edit

Jason Magbanua is one of those guys that you meet and instantly like. He’s one of the nicest, most talented, and more importantly, humble guys you’ll ever get to know. The first time I met Jason was at Re:Frame Austin. I was in a dark theatre surrounded by people I didn’t know and, quite honestly, I was quite intimidated by all of the talented filmmakers around me. I hadn’t had a chance to speak to Jason yet but I’ll never forget my first impression. He showed us a clip from one of his recent weddings, King Gimp. It didn’t take long for me to start crying but what I loved most was how he adapted his style to the story. As someone who’s known for his glidecam moves, he talked about how it wasn’t appropriate for the story  that was being told. I thought about that a lot in Kivalina… how does your camera movement contribute to your story? Jason was one of the first people to inspire me to think about why I shoot the way I shoot and how, if at all, it contributes to the story I’m trying to tell.

To us, Jason embodies what a successful filmmaker should be. He’s talented, willing to share and educates others, remains humble, and continues to educate himself over and over again. What is there not to like?!

Recently we got to sit down with Jason and do a little q+a. Enjoy.

Below is one of the first videos that came out with the 7d courtesy of J. Mag.

Below is the piece I mentioned, King Gimp.

Lastly, one jaw dropping same day edit by Jason.

Comments

1. k*
    k* says:

Great interview, always refreshing to hear Jason’s perspective on shooting and the industry. Jmag is king of the game. For anyone relatively new to the wedding or live event world, especially those that are striving to be the best or emulate other studios…. he’s where the change from the idea of ‘videographer’ to ‘event filmmaker’ began. He’s paved the way for all of us and continues to do so!

2. Kamille
    Kamille says:

Jason Magbanua = Epic Awesomess.

He was there at our wedding last Sept 8 and let me tell you, everyone who didn’t know him loves him and everyone who knew about his works wants him for their wedding.

3. Edelweiss
    Edelweiss says:

As always, thank you for sharing your knowledge and for encouraging us all to strive to do our very best. You are an inspiration to many of us and where you are now and what you have achieved is a true testament that hard work and dedication pays off. You are the epitome of modesty and professionalism and I feel fortunate to have had the chance to help along in one of your shoots and witness how you do your magic! Thanks for doing what you do and for keeping us inspired! 🙂 God Bless!!!

4. Manny
    Manny says:

I’ve bookmarked this website and I regularly visit and I never expected that I’ll be reading your greatness here. Even before I started as a motion designer, I’m a fan of your work. Good luck to your future endeavors and someday I hope to be working with you.

5. volco magbanua
    volco magbanua says:

nobody starts out great,….love what you do..practice..practice some more ,get better on what you do, and own your craft”

i will always remember this 😀

6. Daniel Dunn
    Daniel Dunn says:

Great interview, I agree with everyone above. Jason is a just a really nice guy. I love when he says, “I’m not a planner, I’m a man. It’s the women who say “do this, do that” OMG, that was funny and so, so true, Thanks JMag