Getting Started with Magic Bullet Looks in Final Cut Pro

Everything we cut in FCP gets some level of color grading using Magic Bullet Looks. Here’s a cool video to help you understand the software a bit better.

Would anyone be interested in a more in-depth tutorial on grading with Magic Bullet Looks? I was thinking of doing one but wasn’t sure if it would be helpful. Also if you have any tricks or tips feel free to share them in the comment section.

Comments

1. Joe Black
    Joe Black says:

Cool stuff. I just got a copy of MBL myself and I’m in love with it.

A more in-depth tutorial would be awesome, looking forward to it! 😀

2. Bob
    Bob says:

Thank you so much!!! In depth MBL tutorial would really really be awesome!! You guys are such a blessing to the community. Keep it up! Even though it might seem like you are unheard when sometimes people do not make a comment. People do read but reserve their comments.

3. Kenny
    Kenny says:

My FCP will not render Magic Bullet Looks unless the sequence is set to render 8-bit only… have you encountered this and found any way to work in a higher bit depth?

4. Rob
    Rob says:

Very good introduction. I’ve been using MB Quick Looks and this certainly made me want the full program. A more detailed tutorial would, of course, be welcome, but not necessary. Thanks for all you do already.

5. Jaquis
    Jaquis says:

I’ve been patiently waiting on the next installment! You are very concise and articulate in your tutorials. I look forward to more!

• Jon Connor
      Jon Connor says:

A number of reasons but the biggest one is simply a powerful and very user friendly interface. I find Color to be an awkward/not vey user friendly interface. With MB Looks I can very easily manipulate and save my custom presets for later use.

• Jason Horner
      Jason Horner says:

A trick that I do is apply the FCP’s 3 way and do a primary grade (Color cast removal, contrast/saturation balancing) before applying looks. This will save you time getting consistency between shots, and not having to jump into Looks for tweaks.

6. Pat
    Pat says:

when i try to apply a new “theme” to a clip using looks, FCP say my clip is unrendered. if i delete the filter i just created it goes back to normal.. any help?

7. David
    David says:

Hi,

Great tutorial – thanks. I’m sure this is a stupid (or rather naive) question, but how come you didn’t have to render each time you applied a Magic Bullet filter?

Cheers.